In recent years, Nerd Culture has exploded. It’s socially acceptable, maybe even cool, to be a geek, which is ironic as hell. I’ve always been a closeted nerd. I wrote Star Wars fan fiction and named my stuffed animals after Leo Tolstoy characters, but I was plagued with a hot bod and beautiful face, so I always felt like I had to keep my nerdiness on the DL. I could never discuss how I really felt about Scout and Atticus’ relationship or other dorky shit without confusing people (pretty people know things?).
Now I’m embracing my immense knowledge of Lord of The Rings and Game of Thrones and going tête-à-tête with the other nerds of the world, all the while maintaining these super model good looks. You’re probably thinking either “wow, I don’t know she does it? balancing beauty and brains so perfectly” or “why won’t this girl stop talking?” but just hear me out…
The characteristics that make up what is the Modern Nerd (or MN) vary so much that the possible Nerd Equations (or NEs) are basically infinite. Here are some examples:
- did you read the book Little Women every holiday season while sipping hot chocolate and wishing Beth would just die already? YOU’RE A NERD.
- do you prefer the original Star Wars movies (episodes IV, V, and VI) to the CGI monstrosities of the early 2000s? YOU’RE A NERD
- have you said the words “Star Wars” out loud in the last 12 hours? YOU’RE A NERD
- have you thought about Star Wars in the last 10 minutes? YOU’RE A NERD
- do you know what Battlestar Galactica is? YOU’RE A FRACKING NERD
- are you #TeamTesla or #TeamEdison? either way, YOU’RE A NERD.
- is Elon Musk your personal hero? then you’re name is Joel Blumer and YOU’RE A FUCKING NERD.
Whatever the complexities of your nerd make up may be, seize it! Own that shit and talk nerdy to me…